Friday, December 30, 2011

Autumn Mystic

I did not realize, until today, what great comfort I've taken in the thought that after I'm gone, there will still be people here to enjoy the fresh air, to enjoy falling in love and to enjoy the changing seasons of the wheel of the year. Today, however, I was standing in awe of autumn's flaming glory and appreciating every clear breath when I'd suddenly realized (on a gut level) that one day, none of this will be here. There will come a day when there will be no glorious autumn, no crisp air, no iron-cast sky. There will be no earth beneath our feet - there will only be empty space where our earth used to be... All at once I felt both a tremendous sadness and a fierce sense of exultation. But I am here now, I do witness this autumnal miracle, I do breathe it in! And I glory in the loveliness that is you, now. :o)